Knowing what to do after a disaster has struck may allow you to save your most cherished possessions. If it’s valuable either financially, historically or emotionally, don’t throw it out just because it’s stained, moldy, wet or torn. There may be a way to get help.
Here are some very important Tips to follow:
1. Getting the items away from the wetness!
2. Drying out wet items means getting the air moving with fans and
3. Do NOT turn up the heat! It will accelerate the mold growth.
4. Cradle wet papers, documents and light books in a strong paper towel. Don’t handle them with your fingers: They will rip.
5. Putting muddy, dirty photos in a clean tray (tub) of water will keep them stable for days until you can get help or coaching.
6. Blot, blot, blot. Don’t scrub and rub on your books, photos and collectables.
7. Perhaps the best two items you can get after you’ve had water damage is a big fan to move the air and as many paper towels as you can find.
8. Call for an experts help!